Pages

Sunday 4 March 2018

A Song Bird on my Pillow



Well perhaps not a songbird, but I can hear a tawny owl calling in the garden and that is even better.

Early mornings are my favourite time of day. 

The world is fresh and brand new and I am free to do what I want, without interruption.   Time is all mine, the house is all mine, and the sun will rise especially for my benefit.

Morning shadows, strong coffee, and solitude - if we discount the cats and Toby - a blissful hour or two which belong to me.

The very air seems fresh, clean, and full of potential.    My energy levels are high (probably thanks to the coffee) and all is well in my little bubble.




Two coffees down and if the weather is even half decent I am ready for the off.    There is a beautiful world out there and I want to be out in it enjoying the birdsong, the drumming of the woodpecker (still haven't caught sight of him), watching out for the deer, rabbits and hares, always hoping to catch sight of the magnificent fox I spotted a few weeks ago.

I have time to admire the dewdrops sparkling in sunlight, the sumptuous green velvet mosses and the marvellous lichens and fungi,  as I keep watch for the emergence of primroses, bluebells and other wildflowers.

I become almost tipsy on morning air.

Sometimes our walk takes us past the watermill, don't often see it set amidst snow like this.   In the grounds I took a few moments to watch the two resident goats and then I spotted one of the wallabies, all the animals seemed quite happy with their snowy landscape.

Decisions, decisions.  Should I take a left turn and walk along the bridle path, or turn right for one of the prettiest little hamlets around here...



Neither.  The conditions underfoot are not great for someone who has terrible balance, it is time to head home. 

Back under the arch of the old railway bridge.




Home awaits, so do the daily chores.


The old Vanity Fair song makes perfect sense to me:

"Evening is a time of day I find nothing much to say
Don't know what to do
But I come to   
When it's early in the morning
Over by the window day is dawning
When I feel the air
I feel that life is very good to me, you know.."



I have always been an early riser (much to the despair of my poor parents!) and find mornings a magical part of the day.

Are you a morning or an evening person?



12 comments:

  1. I simply delightful post! I love early morning, too, when I'm wide-awake enough to enjoy it, I love that new-day feeling, especially when it is sunny and a sea fret hasn't rolled in, obscuring everything within 50 yards! You are very fortunate to live in countryside; we are in a highly-built-up urban area and just see houses everywhere, but we're only a mile from the sea front, so I can't complain. But not a chance of seeing hares around here, sadly.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Margaret, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. We spent many happy years living right by the sea, I well remember those sea frets! I must admit that I do occasionally yearn for sight of the sea.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post. I am very much a morning person too and like to get on with the day. I am fortunate to have some beautiful areas to walk, and lovely views, but my favourite walks are the specially-chosen non-local ones as I love to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bovey Belle, Thank you. Your walks are breathtakingly beautiful. I am fighting to keep the local footpaths, some of them across fields, open. Signs and markers sometimes seem to 'disappear', leaving non-local walkers dithering. I keep pounding those paths, leaving a trail!

      Delete
  3. I walked right along with you in this post. I love the mornings that, as you said, are full of promise. The birds are hopeful and noisy and at the moment a light dusting of snow has fallen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Deb, Your birds and animals are so lucky, you provide the most wonderful buffet for them all. I hope the building work is going well.

      Delete
  4. Been getting up around six all my life even if I get us breakfast and go back to bed for a while. First thing in the morning is magical. The shown has all but gone here but where we go in Wales the snow is really high & deep just hoping my caravan is ok

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bill, It really is magical! I hope your caravan is safe and sound. The snow is melting away here, just some of the deeper drifts are still clinging on.

      Delete
  5. Love the beauty which surrounds you. The old buildings and etc.

    The red door, in the middle of that house across the snowy field. Perfect!!!!

    I used to be an early riser. I needed that time alone, before the rest of the household woke and the day really began. But for some time now, I've been a "stay-a-bed" and I don't like it. But in the cold winter it's so hard to get out of the warm blankest and puff and ...... :-)

    Hopefully, with the sun rising earlier, and less cold, I'll get back into my normal rhythm. But! To do that! I have to go to bed earlier again!

    My husband can't sleep if he goes up too early. And he only needs 8 hours sleep. I now need 9 hours. Whyyyyyyyy??? But I do. Sooo, I have to go up earlier than he does. Which I don't like either. :-)

    -chuckle- Not that it really makes that much difference. I don't walk by myself, in the morning, anymore, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This area is like anywhere, Luna, there is usually something beautiful or interesting if you look hard enough! Beautiful and quirky things make me happy so I seek them out.

      There is nothing wrong with enjoying a snuggle down into a warm and cosy bed. There are some days when I would love to do that myself. The animals are so used to me being up and about around 5am that they now expect me to be there and if I happen to be sleeping in, then they start rattling the kitchen door to let me know about it! I swear they take it in turns, a relay team. Persistent little critters!
      I generally fall asleep by 9.30pm, clunk! I go to be with a pile of books, thinking that I will enjoy a good read...and I am gone, dead to the world for a few hours. Husband would read all night if he could!
      The cottage with the red door is very different now, they have built a porch on the front, very practical, no doubt it cuts out the draughts and gives lots of boot and coat storage, but it doesn't look terribly pretty!

      Delete
  6. Forgot!

    Sooooo happy you are hearing an Owl!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't hear him this morning, but I was ten minutes late.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.