Pages

Wednesday 7 March 2018

Ideas Welcome...

The annual village show is one of the few things which gets a decent footfall into the village hall, draws the community together, and raises funds to help maintain the village hall.    The trouble is, as I have so often bemoaned in the past, people want to enjoy the fun of the day but they don't want to help out with the organisation or the clearing up afterwards.

Now this wasn't so much of a problem even a few years ago, when there were plenty of people on the committee.    These days the committee is badly depleted and no one else is willing to take on any kind of role.    There are just four of us.     Three men and me.     The men are lovely, but without trying to be sexist, or incite bad feeling, they don't 'do' the kind of work which is involved in putting on such a show.

The Chairman's wife is in ill health,  the Treasurer is a busy farmer,  and the third male is not exactly as fit as a fiddle.       That leaves me.     I want to say, yes, I can do it all.  Of course I can't.   Had I been ten or twenty years younger  -  possibly -  though I would have needed several months of therapy afterwards.




The parish magazine was popped into the letterbox today - it is a great way of keeping up with events which we would otherwise miss. 

Slipped inside was the programme for a neighbouring village show, they have achieved what I had hoped to have done by this time of the year, giving people ample warning of what to grow, etc.




If our village is to have a show this year, I must try to get our Chairman to call a meeting to discuss schedules and arrangements,  I can already feel the negativity that will engender.

Calling an open meeting is one idea, but that requires a meeting to agree 'the meeting' and someone to volunteer to type and print the notice, then drop it into every letter box,  open the hall, warm it up, set out the chairs and host the meeting, clear up afterwards.


Leave it too late and it will be impossible to organise - or would that be a good thing?

I know that my energy levels are low today, perhaps that is influencing my thinking.

It all feels so futile.  I would value your thoughts.

14 comments:

  1. Maybe its time to combine forces with the neighboring village. If people object to that let them step up to help plan one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marcia. It is certainly an idea worth exploring. I think my first stop is to call a committee meeting, put the ideas forward, see what happens.

      Delete
  2. Let's be logical here. I really can not see any wisdom in your taking it on, yourself. And that is what would happen.

    The facts are, that such lovely village happenings, are becoming impossible to do, because of lack of participation. ~~~ How can you publicize this fact? ~~~ With a lot of typing and delivering the message in mail boxes. -sigh-

    But maybe? Just maybe? When all are faced with the stark fact, that a lovely event, will NOT be happening... Maybe? Just maybe, some help will come forth? Maybe...?

    Again, please don't take it on yourself. Logic. Wisdom. Etc. Yes, it's a shame, if it folds. But... We must take care of our selves first, and our own family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Luna. Thank you! I thought today was a bad day to be thinking about these things, but actually, feeling as unwell as I do, shows me that I am not made of iron. Others will either have to help, or they do without!

      Delete
    2. First things first. Please give yourself time to heal, from whatever is making you feel unwell. You come first.

      Then hold a meeting, and state your case. If you don't be firm, with these 3 men, they will simply take it for granted, that you will step into the breach again. As I'm sure you have done, in the past.

      Now is now. Please tell them firmly, that you are not going to do it, without much help.

      Oh how I'd love to be your spokeswoman! ,-))))))))))))

      Delete
    3. You would certainly shake things up a bit, Luna. I quite like that idea!

      Turns out that the lack of energy was a precursor to a migraine. I don't get so many these days, because I know what triggers them, but this one came out of the blue. They begin with extreme fatigue, then headache and nausea join in. They normally last three days, today is day three and i feel a bit better.

      Delete
  3. I completely agree with Luna - and I've gone through this scenario myself and a friend is experiencing something similar at the moment. Sometimes people really do have to experience a loss before they appreciate it - perhaps an announcement in the villages church(s) and flyers in a few shop windows that unless more volunteers sign up that his year's plans may need to be cancelled? I know it's drastic but you can't do it all and if people really enjoy this event then they should be willing to help. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Margie. I tend to agree, it may have to be cancelled this year. Our village is very tiny, no shops, no church, perhaps around 80/90 households - and that is probably being generous! We also include two other even tinier villages, which swells the number to around 120, the population is certainly well under 400. This is part of the charm, and a big part of the problem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wholeheartedly agree with everyone else's comments. You really do need a team of people to pitch in. Calling a meeting even when there's only four of you, to get their views is the first step and then see how it goes. Whichever way, hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly, lovely to hear from you. I hope you are well.
      You are right, of course. That is what I'll do, they must carry some of the responsibility, whatever is decided!
      x

      Delete
  6. Could you ask for more people to be on the committee. I hate to think that this could die out. Like the others say, try and rally the troops and if that doesnt work you have done all you can. Be kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will almost certainly have to be more meetings to try to drum up support and new committee members. There will be the usual loud voices and promises which don't materialise into helping hands. I'll let you know how it all goes. Thanks, Sol.

      Delete
  7. Just found your blog and enjoyed reading up from your 1st post. I'm an ex Lincolnshire resident who went to school in your nearby market "town" So many of your photos remind me of happy days out with my late (and local) father... picnics and walks galore. So a lovely and lazy afternoon has been spent reading and remembering. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bev, Goodness, if you have read from post no one, then you must be confused. At the time I began this blog I was licking my wounds because a lot of the posts on my earlier blogs had been copied and stolen. This one was begun incognito - hence the strange place and people names!!
      However, if you have managed to wade through all of that, and still know where I am talking about then you deserve a gold Blue Peter badge for perseverance! It is lovely to think that it has given you some pleasure and brought back happy memories...and you are more than welcome.

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.