Pages

Thursday 17 May 2018

Bull Gates and Baler Twine



One of the joys of wondering around the countryside is that of getting up 'close' to some beautiful animals.     Not too close, in this instance,  I like the security of a strong fence between us.   The next photograph shows just how enormous he is - no trickery involved, he is massive.




There is a public footpath which cuts across a corner of his field, I always make sure that the bull and his family are at the far end of the paddock, before I use it.    He is huge, but he seems very placid when his very young offspring have a mad five minutes of leaping and playing around him.   The first time I saw it happen I held my breath, fully expecting him to get grumpy, but he was fine with them.




This handsome old bull has now been replaced by some youngster.    I shall miss Big Daddy, he was quiet and contented to have his wives and family around him.   He had a good life.   


I never cut through the fields when I have the dog with me, that would be asking for trouble - not so much from the bull, but from the anxious mama's.   





I'm always fascinated to observe their system of social behaviour.    I'm sure there must be books about it, it seems to be quite structured.   One or two females look after the calves, a kind of creche, for a while.    Another is always on look-out duty.    There is usually one female who stays fairly close to the bull,  though whether that is simply the wife of the day, or his favourite wife, I haven't worked out.   😉




This is the replacement - a little white bull, his lady for today was the one lying down just in front of him.    Just after I took this photograph they took a nice little stroll along the side of the fenced-off river.    I was walking the dog home, along  the other bank of the river, using an unofficial path through a barley field, rather than risk any trouble.


Three little beauties with a guardian.



These two were having a good old munch but stopped to watch me watching them.


Good strong fences keep them in, along with some electric fencing here and there.     More worrying though are the gates...




Where would a farmer be without his bits of baler twine!   Luckily, there are no bulls in this field, only a handful of cows with their calves.




Another gate on the same farm - this one is only trying to keep the weeds and nettles at bay, so that is alright.


This is the main gate  to the field which holds the bull and his many wives and families.   Already a stout and strong one, reinforced this year with an old metal hurdle ... tied on with baler twine, of course.



12 comments:

  1. They are beautiful animals...

    But I am way too timid, to walk the public pathway, anywhere near them. :-)

    Very happy you are not! And can take us, on this idyllic ramble. -happy sigh-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Common sense and local knowledge help to keep us out of danger, so don't worry!

      Delete
  2. Have I asked about ticks?

    Probably have. Then forgot to go back, and read your answer. Sorry...

    So, I ask again. Do you have ticks? And if so, you must have to be on the lookout for them, on your dog and on yourself, after a walk. Or even after a walk, on your own land.

    I-hate-ticks. Bahhh-humbug... I hate that I hate ticks, and am worried about being outside, because of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are ticks, mainly where sheep graze. Toby has flea and tick treatments and I wear knee high wellies. So far, so good!

      Delete
  3. it really IS the simple things in life. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, they are beautiful creatures.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful picture into the lives of the bull and cows. Loved it.
    We did take one or two of those right of way footpaths through fields labeled with a bull present. Didn't have any trouble.
    I agree with Wisps, I dislike ticks immensely. This is supposed to be a bad year for them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always cautious about farm animals, cattle, sheep, etc. First I don't want to be injured, nor to have Toby hurt, but neither do I want him to worry sheep, etc. We get out and about sensibly and with local knowledge. Ticks, however, are a different problem. Horrible things.

      Delete
  5. What a magnificent bull. And you are a wonderful story teller. You weave an interesting story of rural life and are obviously a great observer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A woman who spends far too much time walking, when she should be doing housework - but I am quite unrepentant. I love being out and about while the weather is dry and fine - not even two minutes-worth of rain this week, Linda!! ;)

      Delete
  6. I love to visit here. 'the three little beauties' are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you, Deb. Aren't they adorable!

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.