Pages

Saturday 12 May 2018

The Naming of Dovecote Dell



When I abandoned my old blogs and  began  writing this one,  I renamed all the local villages and landmarks.   I became 'Felicity Parsons of Parsonage Cottage', even our animals were given a new moniker. 

The tiny village of Dovecote Dell came into being, along with 'Butterbump Splash' which is what I renamed the hamlet where the old watermill can be found.    Home is located in a village which I renamed 'Little Bunting'.

At the time, I was smarting from having had much of the content of my old blog scraped and reposted as having been written by other bloggers.    The renaming and mapping business helped me to get my annoyance out of my system, allowing me to dabble in blogging again.

Of course, as time has progressed, I have reverted to 'Elaine', the animals have regained their names, etc.   


One constant has been the beautiful old dovecote/dovecot/pigeoncote.    It is a cute old building, which never fails to draw my eye.     




I take rather a lot of photographs of it.    It is a delightful addiction and I have no plans to go for a cure.




No matter what the season, it always delights me.




Sometimes there are sheep in the field, at other times, cattle.    One constant is that crows live inside.  No matter how quietly I try to approach, they fly out of the windows, they must have a 'watchman' on guard,  exceptional hearing, perhaps, more likely is that I approach as silently as a baby elephant.





I normally try to edit out the ugliest of the wires and so on, focus on the mellow and slightly crumbling old structure.




It is relatively simple to make it look as though it is in glorious isolation, the reality is a little different... for there is a handful of cottages just up on the lane behind it.




I know they are there, so do you, now.   

Real life.




Sometimes it depends on how you approach it.


13 comments:

  1. Did you ever discover who and why your blog was so horribly lifted? Obviously to the reader your style is so appealing and some might try to imitate, that in itself is annoying. Although I always think folk can try and copy but never get close. You have either got it or not and you certainly have. Lifting the whole shebang is a totally different thing altogether. Do it for yourself Elaine, enjoy, That’s what I now do, alright folk can’t always make head nor tail of what I’m twittering on about. At the end of the day I am doing this for myself so am I bothered with not many comments and followers? No! And sure as hell no one will want to copy me, so win-win. Do it for you, it is a gentle pictorial diary of life at Elaine’s gaff.

    Hugs LX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lettice, Those 'blogs' were certainly still going strong a few months ago. I haven't checked since then. Blogggger makes the process of having them removed very tedious. I worked like a beaver initially, driven on by my fury but I ran out of steam. As to the why? I have no idea. Madness!
    Life moves on, dust settles (especially in my house) and I am me again.
    Thank you for all your kindness, 'tis greatly appreciated, though unmerited.
    It is good to see you back in the world of Blog. With your sea breezes, and Ian's canal capers, things have changed. The bonds of friendship endure. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dovecotes are always fascinating though the reason for their use was not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bill, Plenty of squab or pigeon pies! I have been told that many of the shelves still remain intact but the place is filled with decades-worth of bird poop - very smelly.

      Delete
  4. The dovecote is a wonderful piece of your scenery. Love the way you gave us photos of it through the seasons, with the animals and from different aspects.
    It has aged well and these green fields give me a feeling of peace. Our fields are still green. Rain makes such a difference and we have had plenty lately

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to take you walking through those green fields, Linda - though I would have to lend you some Wellington boots. The ground is dry but the farmyards tend to be "muddy".
      Is it unusual to have so much rain, in Greece, at this time of year? Do you miss the green fields of NZ?

      Delete
  5. How beautiful is that? As an addiction - you could have worse! I am trying to think of the last Dovecot I saw and think it was in Herefordshire, but danged if I can remember the name of the house, though I can see it in my mind's eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello BB, It is a lovely old building. As I walk through the farm I try to catch echoes of the history, some notable people have been there through the centuries.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad everything got sorted and you continued to blog. Love your posts.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Deb, You are too kind, but thank you!
      I was so very sorry to hear about poor Audacious Audrey - a beautiful cat, famous around the world. I hope Annie is bearing up.

      Delete
  7. We saw a lovely old dovecote in the Cotswolds. It was huge. I wondered how anyone gets in there to get the eggs or birds.
    And how did you learn that someone was taking your writing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look at some of the photographs you will see a small door near the base.
      As to the blog theft - it happened when I was doing some research about a local landmark. It was a place I had written about before, but I had uncovered some new details but wanted to verify what I had discovered. I did a G**gle search and found a really interesting article about it, as I read it I began to think that it must have been written by someone I knew...they knew all the places/people I know - then I realised that I was reading my own words, looked down to the next paragraph and saw my photograph of the place and more of my words. I was confused, to say the least, because it was not one of my blogs that I was reading...then I got angry. Investigated further and found over a hundred others had been taken, and not just used on one 'blog'. Somehow those faux blogs generate money; whoever has them doesn't write the articles, they scrape them from other people, post them as their own.

      Delete
    2. I never knew that could happen. I suppose if I wanted to find out if they’ve done it to me I need to google a topic I’ve written about. Do I even want to know this?

      Delete

Lovely to hear from you.
I will try to answer comments in the next post.